Wednesday, March 24, 2010

LAS POZAS








Lots of times I imagine how excellent it would be if I had the ability to teleport.
If I could teleport the first place I would go (after robbing a bank vault) would be Las Pozas in Mexico. There is an incredible gigantic garden of surrealist sculptures hiding behind the ferns and palms and vines and cacti and giant poisonous flowers. These sculptures were created by a man named Edward James, the world's biggest collector of surrealist art. He came from an aristocratic family in Britain, running away to Mexico to build his own world.

For some reason thinking about Las Pozas reminds me of a documentary I watched once about a man who lived in a Brazilian slum and had spend years building his house up into an incredible curving, organic castle/ sculpture of a thing. Although his building techniques and ideas were scarily similar to the Spanish architect/sculptor Gaudi, this man had never heard of nor seen anything to do with Gaudi in his life. He said God told him how to build and which part to work on next. Many parts of the house were covered in worn glass and shells. I really wish I could remember the man's name on which the documentary was centered around (or the documentary's title for that matter). At the end of the documentary the film-makers took this man to see Gaudi's work in Barcelona. It was really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment